Friday, December 6, 2013

$5 per tear

Boys can't cry the way girls can.

In every cheesy romantic movie that makes us believe in true love. It doesn't matter how many times we've seen Titanic. Jack is still dead and that's worth crying over.

Crying proves that we are alive.
The way the mascara stains my face and I wrap my arms across my chest too tightly because if I let go my body will fall apart, leaving a shadow in its place. Silently sobbing because the pain is too much for frail voices and we musn't waken the neighbors. Hold our hands over our stomachs, wish there was a knife in its place.
Just because we don't want to kill ourselves doesn't mean we don't want to die.

Boys refuse to cry like us.
They refuse to be broken. To let their thoughts drift into what used to be. To let the torture of knowing what could've been ruin what is.
They straighten their posture and show the world that they're gonna be fine.
Don't you dare grieve. Don't you for one second show us that you are weak.
Get yourself a rebound and pretend to give a shit, as long as it makes you forget for a while.

But if you don't let yourself cry when you're sad you're going to be out of practice when the good things come along. The moment will pass and you'll wonder why something so beautiful made you feel nothing. Because you shut off your sorrow and with it your happiness.
It seemed worth it at the time, but when joy passes without a single tear you wish you had taken our word for it and chosen to feel. Chosen to cry.

Everything good in life is worth crying over.

When the depression is too much and my body begins to cave in I take a break from the sadness and shed a tear for everyone who loves me. For the girl who fell asleep on my birthday last year and still feels bad about it. For my best friends who wear bff necklaces even though we aren't in elementary school. For the boy I've always loved a little bit. He always seems to know when I need him. For my little brother who crawls into bed with me at night. For the people I make mistakes with. For the people who keep my secrets. For everyone who has ever told me I deserve better.

 Cry because the snow is beautiful when it falls but gets ugly with time. Cry for first kisses and moments you wish could be rewinded. For Ben & Jerry's ice cream and poetry.
Cry with all the people who won't let go of each other at the airport because its been too damn long since they could touch.

Everyone looks a little more beautiful when their eyes water.




No comments:

Post a Comment